Answers to the quiz posted on December 20th. Congratulations if you scored more then 10 points out of 25.
But first a primer…. (4 points)
1. Who is the current chair of Universities UK?
[Julia Buckingham, VC Brunel University]
2. The director of Universities Scotland shares his name with an actor who played another legendary educator. Name him.
3. Which University’s chancellor and vice chancellor both served as MPs and held high office in parliament and government, respectively?
[University of Bedfordshire: John Bercow (Chancellor) and Bill Rammell (VC)]
4. Who is the UK’s longest-serving vice chancellor, appointed in 1993?
[John Cater, VC Edge Hill University]
Succession planning (6 points)
5. Which long-serving VC retired in August 2020 and was succeeded by Lisa Roberts?
[Steve Smith, University of Exeter]
6. Who has succeeded David Eastwood as Chair of the board of trustees of the USS pension scheme?
7. Who succeeded Anton Muscatelli as chair of the Russell Group in 2020?
[Dame Nancy Rothwell, VC University of Manchester]
8. Who is still Interim Vice Chancellor of which university, almost two years after having assumed the role in February 2019?
[Andy Collop, De Montfort University]
9. Which university has a vacancy for chancellor after an embarrassing resignation as a result of a Newsnight interview in November 2019?
[University of Huddersfield, after the resignation og HRH Prince Andrew]
Pandemic response (4 points)
10. Which VC was the first to promise a fully open and covid-secure campus for the autumn of 2020?
[George Holmes, VC University of Bolton]
11. Which VC said the pandemic has ‘put a digital rocket up the backsides of mainstream HE’?
[Nick Petford, VC Northampton University]
12. Which VC’s response to impending lockdown in March and posted on Twitter was: ‘Off to the pub. Not sure when I’ll be doing this again. Happy Friday!’ ?
[Liz Barnes, VC Staffordshire University]
13. Which university’s management has been criticised for making redundancies to IT staff in the midst of the pivot to online ?
[University of Brighton]
Celebrity corner (6 points)
14. Which 2020 Strictly Come Dancing contestant is currently Chancellor of which university?
[Ranvir Singh, Chancellor of the University of Central Lancashire]
15. One former married couple, both actors and comedians, serve as chancellors of different universities. Name the actors and the universities.
[Dawn French, Falmouth University. Sir Lenny Henry, Birmingham City University]
Apologies (4 points)
16. Which VC has been forced to apologise twice to students this year? The second apology was an apology for not apologising.
[Dame Nancy Rothwell, VC Manchester]
17. Name one VC who was forced to apologise for bullying a senior colleague in 2020?
[Alice Gast, President of Imperial College]
18. Name another VC who apologised in 2019 for a culture of bullying at the university?
[Adam Tickell, VC University of Sussex]
19. The chief operating officer of which university sent an email to staff asking them to stop sending “borderline threatening” emails to professional services staff during the coronavirus lockdown?
Hopeful sign 1 point)
20. Which university’s strapline is “University for the Common Good”?
[Glasgow Caledonian University]